A Day In Central Louisiana
A Rich Mix of History, Retail Therapy, Downtown Art & Lots of Good Food!
|Morning||Littlepage Farms/Commissary (Colfax, LA)
• Take a trip back in time at this historic Commissary (1908) that is stocked with lots of local goodness: pecans, preserves, honey, unique syrups, pecan oil and baked goodies galore.
• The Littlepage family, who has farmed this land for generations, invites you to stop in to explore the work of local artisans, craftspeople, bakers, gardeners and more.
• Or you could simply sit a spell in the rockers and enjoy a cup of coffee .
|Morning||Kent Plantation House (Alexandria, LA)
• Pristine, authentic Creole plantation home from the early 1800s
• Guides in period attire will take you behind-the-scenes of the main home, milk house, kitchen and blacksmith shop. Meet Oreo and Nutella, the resident chickens!
• See the original Sugar Mill where local sugar cane crops were hand processed -this is the oldest and most complete home sugar mill in operation in the state
|Lunch||Lunch at one of the local favorites including:
• The Cottage
• Wildwood Pizza
• Spirits Food & Friends
• Word of Mouth Cafe
• Cafe DeSoto
• Critic’s Choice
• Apollo Greek & Lebanese
• Good People’s Kitchen
|Afternoon||Do the Loop! --A Dose of Retail Therapy (Jackson Street area)
• Alexandria’s Jackson Street is a main thoroughfare and home to a number of colorful boutiques and gift shops. These shops are on Jackson Street or just a few blocks off of it. If you Do the Loop! we hope you’ll consider:
• Addie’s Boutique, Terra Home, Dressed to the Bixby, John Ward Interior & Gifts, Flowers/Gifts by Rick, Southern Chic, Southern Accents Boutique, Interiors by Cora, etc.
|Afternoon||Sips & Nibbles -An Afternoon Break
For a cheerful and convenient coffee and/or cupcake break, you might try:
• Little Cakes, Big Attitude
• Atwood’s Bakery
• Doce Vita Bakery
• Tamp & Grind Coffee
|Late Afternoon||A Dose of Downtown Art
Each Gift Shop showcases unique works of various Southern artists
• Alexandria Museum of Art & Gift Shop
• River Oaks Square Arts Center & Gift Shop
|Late Afternoon||Cocktails and Dinner in Downtown Alexandria
Cocktails and stories are in rich supply at:
• The Mirror Room, Historic Hotel Bentley
• The Tasting Room of Louisiana, home of Louisiana’s only Whiskey Sommelier
• The Diamond Grill
Dinner is served:
• The Bentley Room, Historic Hotel Bentley
• Diamond Grill
• Gone Wild Safari
• Hayes E Daze Ranch (Horse back riding through Kisatchie National Forest)
• Kisatchie National Forest (Multiple Hiking Trails)
• Southern Forest Heritage Museum
• Kincaid Lake
• Indian Creek
• Bringhurst Golf Course
• Links on the Bayou Golf Course
• LSUA Golf Course
• Oakwing Golf Course
• Ft. Buhlow Disc Golf
• Kees Park Disc Golf Course
|TREE HOUSE CHILDREN'S MUSEUM|
Special Note: Please remember that the days and hours of operation for area attractions, retailers, restaurants, etc. have changed in recent months. We highly recommend that you call and confirm the days/hours of operation of selected sites before you visit.
Safe travels and we look forward to welcoming you to Central Louisiana.