Skip to content

Weiss and Goldring

This large corner commercial building originally housed the Hemenway Furniture Store as early as 1904 until it relocated to 725 3rd Street around 1918. It was close to this time that Weiss and Goldring, a department store in business since 1899, moved to this location. Weiss and Goldring was one of the oldest and largest department stores downtown until their downtown location closed in 1993, after new locations opened in and near the Alexandria Mall. This structure is representative of the spacious department stores that once stood downtown, including Wellan’s and Schwartzberg’s, the majority of which have since been demolished. In an ad for Alexandria’s sesquicentennial in 1957, Weiss and Goldring boasted that they were the first to have store-wide elevator service, air conditioning, two-way escalator service, and free undercover parking—thus, it embodied the height of fashion and was fully equipped with modern amenities. It is constructed of blonde brick, and features segmentally arched windows, louvered shutters, and two decorative pilasters on the 3rd Street facade. The Art Deco iron balcony has been removed in recent years, and placed into storage, while the original neon sign was relocated to the current mall location. The Weiss and Goldring water tower remains standing as well as the open parking garage in the rear of the property. The building is

X
X