Union Station Depot Facade / Atrans 2nd Street Bus Station
The original Union Station Depot was constructed around 1910 and later remodeled in the Spanish Eclectic style. It served the Missouri Pacific Railroad and the Texas & Pacific Railway from the early 1900s through the 1960s. Originally located on the corner of Jackson St. and 10th St., decorative components of the train station were moved in a “careful piecemeal fashion” to their present location as the vacant depot was dismantled to make way for the construction of Interstate-49. Salvaged materials were preserved, namely the portal entry facades and ticket window facade, and incorporated into the present building to maintain the historic character of the station. Contemporary alterations and additions were designed by Lewis Brown and Mike Dekeyzer as the new building was constructed to house Alexandria’s new transit center in 1987. The entire interior was designed for bus station programming to include restrooms, waiting rooms, and snack rooms with only the end facades remaining from the original railroad station.