Teston’s Liquor Store
A two story building in use as a saloon, operated by G. M. Houk, was constructed on this corner circa 1896, and housed a furniture store in 1900. It was expanded, doubling in size, by 1904 with the original building and the addition separated by a partition. In 1909 it housed a saloon, Standard Liquor Co., once again on the Desoto St. side with a pool room on the other side and a garage in the back of the property. In 1914 the partition was removed and the interior was opened up for the operation of a general store. By 1921 it was subdivided again, housing a restaurant along the Desoto St. side, Phoenix Drugstore, and a shop, until it was further subdivided into three stores and two restaurants by 1928. In the early 1940s, Riley Teston, assistant manager of the Heidelberg Hotel in Baton Rouge moved to Alexandria. He purchased and remodeled the building and opened Teston’s Liquor Store by 1942. The hand-painted Teston’s Liquor Store sign can be faintly seen on the front of the building today. After Teston’s closed around 1947, the building housed a variety of other businesses including the Good Friends Shop, Vogue Barber Shop, the LaSalle Café, a furniture store, a car dealership, and D’Amico’s Restaurant. After part of the building burned, the façade was altered with the addition of modern brick and plate glass windows and doors and a thick layer of plaster over the second story transom windows and side elevations. After a one year rehabilitation in 2013 by the Atwood family which involved the removal of the modern storefront treatment and exposure of the historic brick beneath, the Sandwich Shoppe, Crave, a coffee shop, and Ember’s Restaurant opened here.