The original Stonewall Hotel was a wood structure with a two story gallery that stood on this corner, newly constructed in 1895 by Mr. and Mrs. O. M. Moore. Joe Sterkx purchased the property around 1900. In order to compete with the Hotel Bentley after its completion in 1909, the Stonewall was renovated with the removal of the gallery and the addition of an exterior brick veneer, complete with white glazed bricks to create geometric patterns in the masonry. The hotel occupied the second and third floors with shops on the ground floor. The Stonewall closed between 1921 and 1928, during which time it became the Jefferson Hotel. In 1929, the entire bottom floor, with the exception of the lobby entrances, was leased out to McAdams Furniture. The Jefferson closed in 1931 and the hotel reemerged as the Stonewall Hotel with the Stonewall Bar located on the bottom floor during the 1930s, under the ownership of the McGinty’s, descendants of Joe Sterkx. It was renamed, “Astor Hotel” around 1942 and remained the Astor into the early 1950s. After the hotel closed permanently by 1953, Standard Printing Co. occupied the ground floor, closing off the entire upstairs, which remained vacant for 30 years. In 1983 the building was renovated and completely gutted from roof to slab and a new building was constructed within the early 20th century historic brick veneer walls. “301 Jackson Place” Partnership and Managing Partner, Buddy Tudor led the renovation. A large portion of the original heart pine was salvaged and reincorporated back into the building for window mullions and baseboards. The building now provides office space for a number of local businesses. The one-story commercial structure between the Stonewall Hotel and Weiss and Goldring building at 812 3rd St. was on site by 1914. It first housed a restaurant, then a department store, and later became incorporated into the McAdam’s Co., Inc. store by 1928, before Weiss and Goldring expanded into it. It briefly housed the Bridendall photography studio and book shop in the 1950s, and housed optometrists’ offices for many years. It now houses a local pub, Finnegan’s Wake.