Southern Bell Telephone and Telegraph Company
The main building facing Murray St. was constructed in 1940 as the Southern Bell Telephone and Telegraph Company, while upper and rear additions were added in the 1950s and 1970s. The style is difficult to pinpoint, but it contains some Classical Revival and Art Deco elements, with stylized components concentrated on the first floor. The building features squared, multi-paned windows set within recessed arched openings on the ground floor, the exterior of which is clad in stone while the upper three floors are of red brick masonry. The front façade is symmetrical, with a central bay and three bays equally spaced on either side. A pronounced dentil brick stringcourse divides the third and fourth floors. The recessed entrance is flanked by two Doric columns, supporting an entablature. An Art Deco style balcony sits atop the entrance, and matches the hand rail in the same style. The telephone company that was housed here eventually evolved into South Central Bell in 1969 and became BellSouth in the 1980s, the main telecommunications company serving the Alexandria-Pineville area into the 21st century. It now houses AT&T and the Alexandria and Pineville switchboard, as well as several other local business offices.