Site of Rapides Parish Courthouse and Jail
The imposing 1903 Rapides Parish Courthouse designed in the Beaux Arts style with Romanesque elements was constructed by the F. B. Hull Construction Company of Jackson, Mississippi on this site, replacing the earlier courthouse built in 1873. It served as the parish courthouse until 1939 when the new, present courthouse was constructed by the Works Progress Administration on Murray Street. The old courthouse was in use as government offices, fell into disrepair, and was demolished in 1957. This site later became the location for the Alexandria Daily Town Talk newspaper circulation building, which stands here today. The parish jail was also located on this square, adjacent to the courthouse on the corner of Lee and 2nd St. built in the Romanesque style in 1899. It was a two-story building of brick construction with two three-story towers on its front facade, surrounded by a 10 foot brick wall. It was demolished in 1940 for scrap iron during World War II.