Site of Original Bolton High School
Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Bolton donated this piece of land on Sixth and Beauregard Streets, for the location of a new high school in 1914. The necessity of a new school was realized with the continued growth in enrollment of Alexandria Central High School, precursor to Bolton. The building was a three-story fireproof structure constructed of gray brick and stone with twenty-eight rooms, costing $120,442. The design and construction were carried out by the same firms that constructed the present day Bolton High School: architects, Favrot and Livaudais, and the Caldwell Brothers Construction Company. It featured a marble stair case leading from the front lawn to the second floor, an octagonal shaped lobby, a study hall that could accommodate 400 students, a library, and a biology and natural history wing. The name was changed from Alexandria Central School to Bolton High School at the completion of the structure, in honor of the donor of the site. Classes were held in this facility until 1926, when the Vance Avenue location opened due to lack of space to accommodate the increase in enrollment from 400 to 900 at the Beauregard location during its eleven years of operation.