Site Of Congregation Gemulith Chassodim Synagogue
Congregation Gemiluth Chassodim, which means “Acts of Loving Kindness,” was originally established as the Hebrew Benevolent Society of Rapides Parish in 1852 in order to provide a Jewish Cemetery for burials. Their first synagogue was constructed at the corner of 3rd and Fisk Streets, completed in 1871. The second temple erected on the same site c. 1908 was designed in the Greek Revival style, over three stories tall with a dome, to accommodate the growing congregation. This site is now occupied by a parking garage. The grand Greek Revival temple burned in 1956, and the congregation moved to their new Mid-Century Modern temple at 2021 Turner Street, recently listed on the National Register of Historic Places.