Skip to content

Red River Candy Company

Red River Candy Company

A surviving example of modest commercial vernacular architecture typical of the area, the Red River Candy Company opened between 1932 and 1933, selling wholesale candy – it was the only business in Alexandria to produce candy for wholesale purchase. An advertisement for the Red River Candy Company reads, “Exclusive Candy Jobbers Catering to the Best of Candies for the Best People.” It was originally constructed as a one-story brick shop with attached wood frame residence for William B. Calhoun and his wife Margaret. They eventually moved in the 1950s. In 1968, the Red River Candy Company was the only business operating on the block – the rest of the buildings were vacant. It closed later that year, after operating for almost forty years. It is in fairly good condition, considering that the majority of commercial vernacular buildings in Alexandria are in a state of deterioration or demolished. Residents recognize it for its well-preserved painted signage, proclaiming at the base of the wall: “Enjoy some every day.”

X
X