Skip to content

Rapides Parish Library Main Branch

Rapides Parish Library Main Branch

The Main Library of the Rapides Parish Library System began serving the Alexandria and Pineville community from the fourth floor of the Rapides Parish Courthouse in 1942. To accommodate the increase in library patrons, Librarian Marion Taylor and Board Chairman Frank O. Hunter called for the construction of this new library at its current location, 411 Washington Street, and construction was complete in 1965. It was designed by Gene Glankler of Glankler and Broadwell, and Dekeyzer and Boutte, architects and engineers. Its construction consists of precast concrete with exposed quartz aggregate and glass in the late Mid-Century Modern style, arranged with a horizontal emphasis despite its tall, vertical windows. The library features repeating groups of three narrow arched floor to ceiling windows and recessed panels divided by pilasters, clerestory windows, skylights, and an inverted barrel vault ceiling

X
X