Paramount Theatre Site
This was once the site of the grand Paramount Theatre, now a parking lot. Originally built to house the Rapides Opera House, the building initially featured live performances by touring companies as well as local acts. The Marx Brothers are believed to have performed here in the 1910s. As one of the most stylish buildings in the city, it also played a vital role in the community as a venue for political meetings, speeches, school graduations, and church benefits. It was converted to the Rapides Theatre and experienced the nationwide transition of theatres from featuring live stage performance to the motion picture “Talkies” in 1927 when the theatre was sold and the name changed to “The Paramount,” after being purchased by Saenger Amusement Co. From then on it served the AlexandriaPineville community as one of the only movie theatres in the area. It was designed by the renowned architectural firm Favrot and Livaudais of New Orleans, who designed many distinguished structures throughout Louisiana, including the present Bolton High School. The Paramount was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981, but despite this recognition it was demolished in the late 1980s.