Masonic Temple Building
The first lodge of the Alexandria Masons was established in 1819. They erected this facility, designed by Herman J. Duncan of Sam Stone, Jr. & Co. in 1927, moving from their previous location at Fourth and Desoto probably due to overcrowding. The ground story is rental commercial space, and was historically rented to shops to generate funds to maintain the building, while upper floors were used by Masons as a Masonic temple. The second story contains a large auditorium with a simple proscenium, as well as supplementary office and service spaces. There is a secondary auditorium on the third floor and two additional auditoriums on the fourth floor, all simply designed with non-sloping floors. The Fourth and Johnston Street facades of the building have nearly identical styling. Both feature an elegant piano nobile with three central windows enclosed by pedimented frames and inscribed within round arches. The exterior features decorative brickwork in contrasting colors. Presently owned by Michael Jenkins, he purchased this structure in 2003.