Hixson Brothers Funeral Home
Ed Hixson and Jim Hixson settled in Central Louisiana in 1907 and purchased the Hoyt Funeral Home and Livery Stable, located at Fourth and DeSoto Streets, equipped with three horse drawn vehicles and handmade caskets. They relocated their business to 3rd and Beauregard Streets in 1910. In 1937, they relocated to their current location, 701 Jackson Street. This Colonial Revival structure is reminiscent of the mansions throughout the Garden District with its two-story pedimented portico, supported by six colossal Doric columns, broken swan’s neck pediment over the front entrance, and multipaned, round arched Palladian style windows.