First United Methodist Church / Greater New Hope Missionary Baptist Church
Originally constructed to house First United Methodist Church, this structure is one of the only significant examples of turn of the century Romanesque Revival style remaining in Alexandria. It was designed by architect W. E. Matthews and the contractor was L. H. Baldwin. The cornerstone was laid on October 20, 1907. Four different congregations have occupied this building, but it is currently occupied by the Greater New Hope Missionary Baptist Church. The gable fronted facade is flanked by square towers with heavy cornices and pyramid roofs. The four-story corner tower contains a belfry and is topped with a decorative finial. An arcade runs between the towers, forming the entrance portico. Round arch windows punctuating the smooth brick exterior are emphasized by narrow brick voussoirs. The base is clad with alternating bands of smooth and rough-faced stone, in contrast with the brick construction of the exterior walls. Marbled (slag) stained glass windows are in the Arts and Crafts style.