First Presbyterian Church / Rapides Parish School Board Curriculum Center
This church was erected between 1920 and 1922 to accommodate the growing congregation with a modern building. The church was designed by J. E. Green, church architect of Birmingham, to be “entirely distinct in architecture” but comparable to other edifices of public worship in Alexandria. The structure is constructed of brick trimmed with stone and features a temple-like facade. Four massive classical Ionic columns composed of Bedford stone support a portico at the main entrance, and a pediment with a semi-circular window in its center. A modillion cornice runs along the roofline. The green ceramic roof tiles and deep overhang are suggestive of the Mediterranean Revival style, while the arched windows are Romanesque giving it an overall eclectic appearance. Jacoby Art Glass Company of St. Louis, Missouri produced the stained glass windows (the majority of which have been removed). A one-story brick church school facility was added in 1952, to accommodate the increase in membership and church school enrollment. In 1990 it was purchased by the Rapides Parish School Board to serve as the Curriculum Center.