C.A. Schnack Jewelry and Company Store
Another landmark of Alexandria, the C. A. Schnack Jewelry Company Store, was designed by architect Herman J. Duncan of Alexandria and its construction was completed by Tudor and Ratcliff in 1931. It is a two-story brick commercial building with limestone facing on its façade, designed in the early 20th century neoclassical style with elements of Art Deco present in the elaborate canopy and shopfront ornamentation. It is one of the few surviving commercial structures in the state that exhibits a high architectural style, especially its interior, which was commonly reserved for banks, hotel lobbies, and upscale specialty shops during this time period. The interior features a two-story sales hall with a mezzanine at the rear accessed by a central staircase, which is illuminated by an octagonal-shaped skylight overhead. The second floor was once used as a jewelry repair room and workshop in front and storage in the rear. Carl August Schnack, originally from Hamburg, Germany, founded Schnack’s Jewelry in 1865. Schnack’s Jewelry remains in business today, but is now housed in a contemporary building. The building was acquired by Buddy Tudor and Mike Small in 1999, restored by 2005, and repurposed as a restaurant. Mike Jenkins purchased it in 2011.