Bertrand Weil Building 2BERTRAND WEIL BUILDING c.1909 c.1950
These buildings were established here circa 1909: The larger structure closest to the corner of Johnston and Third was the Stag Hotel, a three-story building divided by a partition with a bookstore and saloon on the ground floor. The building adjacent to this housed a twostory clothing store. By 1914 the clothing store was converted to a saloon, and the hotel was renamed the “Annex Hotel,” still located on the 2nd and 3rd floors with a saloon and book/stationery store on the ground floor. By 1921 the 2nd and 3rd floors were used for offices with the first floors occupied by the bookstore and a drugstore, and the adjacent building in use as a restaurant. In 1928 the restaurant at 1022 had been converted to the Home Theatre, which showed moving pictures and was replaced with dentist, optometrist, and real estate offices by 1931. The larger corner building was converted to strictly shop space, operating as the Federal Clothing Stores and Adrion’s Drug Store. 1022 housed a wide variety of businesses throughout the 20th century including an ice cream store, clothing stores, a hat shop, a military supply store, and photography studios. By the 1940s, Franklin’s clothing store for women moved into the corner building and Morris Koblen’s jewelry store was established here as early as 1938. Mr. Koblen began his establishment by peddling watches and pocket knives to sawmill workers. The second floor of the building was remodeled for offices in the 1950s; the interior retains this appearance. The exterior was also completely renovated with addition of acrylic covered square metal caps to cover the brick façade for a mid-century update – these have recently been removed to reveal the historic exterior during a rehabilitation by the Trotters.. The building was owned by the Bertrand Weil Co. at one time, hence its name, and housed Koblen’s Jewelry Co. and a wig shop into the 1990s before the present clothing store, DC’s Suits and More, and Studio 1016, a nightclub, moved to the ground floor.