Baptist Hospital Annex / Rapides Rehabilitation Services
Historically located at the corner of Third and Scott, this structure is the “annex” portion of what was originally the Baptist Hospital, precursor to Rapides Regional Medical Center. The Alexandria Sanitarium was purchased by the Louisiana Baptist Convention in 1917 as it became too difficult for the hospital to operate as a private proprietary institution. This four-story addition was constructed in 1918 soon after the transfer of the hospital, adding 50 beds. A functional structure, it originally featured a parapet gable and modillion cornice, and at one time was bedecked with awnings over each of the windows. It was incorporated into modern additions constructed in the 1940s and 1950s and its historic appearance is hidden; some original windows remain, while many have been replaced, and parts of the modillion cornice, dentil stringcourse, and pilasters are visible. In 1993 the annex was still in use as the “C” wing of the hospital. It now serves as a rehabilitation facility.