B. Ginsberg / Caplan’s
This structure is composed of two buildings that date to the turn of the 20th century and were combined in the 1960s as the local men’s clothing and uniform store, Caplan’s, expanded. The taller, two story building was erected by 1896, housing a grocery store on the first floor and the meeting space for the International Office of Odd Fellows on the second floor; In 1909 it housed the Golden Rule Racket Store, similar to dry goods store or as they put it, a “headquarters for everything.” It then housed a furniture store, and by 1921 F. W. Woolworth and Co., a department store, operated here until the mid-1930s. B. Ginsberg Men’s Clothing moved to this location at this time and remained here until 1965. The adjacent one-story structure was previously in use as a dry goods/ general store; Kinney Shoes and Rose Kate’s Shoppe operated here in the 1930s. The one-story portion housed Caplan’s Men’s Clothing when they moved to this location from 1224 3rd St. in 1948. Caplan’s was founded by David Caplan, a native of Poland, when he opened a dry goods store in 1891, with his family helping to run the business. By the 1930s, Caplan’s was well established as a clothing store for men and boys that also sold work uniforms and accessories. Caplan’s initially operated out of the one-story building adjacent to Schnack’s at 916 3rd St. while B. Ginsberg operated out of the two story building between the one-story Caplan’s building and Teston’s Liquor, until Caplan’s expanded into the two story Ginsberg building in 1967, combining both structures. This building was renovated in subsequent years to give the exterior an updated modern appearance.