828 4th Street
A two-story structure stood on this site as early as 1909 and housed a Masonic lodge on the second floor and furniture store; prior to this twostory commercial building the site was occupied by a large dwelling. Only the first floor was subdivided into smaller spaces for multiple shops with the second floor left open. In subsequent years it contained a variety of businesses, including an ice cream factory, an electric motors dealer, offices, a baby powder manufacturer, and a car wash. It was vacant from 1929 to 1931 possibly due to a fire and/or renovation. By the mid-1930s, the building was reduced to a one-story structure and the present Art Deco exterior was applied. It retained the same layout as the two-story that stood here throughout the early 1900s, indicating that the original building was renovated, or that a new onestory structure was erected in its place. It was subdivided into six separate stores by the 1950s, housing the Pincus & Murphy Music House, Bolden’s Pharmacy, and insurance and real estate agencies. It was primarily vacant during the 1960s, and was reoccupied by insurance agencies, law offices, and a mimeograph service business in the 1970s. It continued to house a motley assortment of businesses into the 1980s, including a printing business, a restaurant, Charles Errick’s Hair Department, and offices. It now functions successfully as a coffee shop and retains its historic commercial character and Art Deco style, expressed in the geometric parapet and detail of the stucco exterior.