1012 3rd Street
This turn of the century commercial building features a shallow stepped parapet gable and one centrally placed set of four windows flanked by two sets of tripartite windows on the second floor. It was in use as a haberdasher, or hat maker, recently after its construction. As early as 1915 it was in use as a store, selling clothing, boots, and shoes. It housed the J. C. Penney Co. department store from the 1920s until 1955, at which time it became vacant after J. C. Penney relocated down the street. In 1957 Walgreen’s purchased 1010 3rd St. and remodeled it into a diner, which is now Sentry Grill attached to Sentry Drug. By 1960 Newstadt’s Shoe Store operated out of 1012; the evidence of this remains written in the floor of the recessed shop front entrance. After another period of vacancy, 1012 housed a hosiery shop, a business college, and Bialy’s clothing store in 1982. This portion of the building at 1012 now serves as the location for J. B. Photo Studios. Half of this building is still incorporated into the adjacent drugstore at 1002 3rd St. and its 1957 interior appearance has been maintained.