Skip to content

Alexandria National Cemetery

The Alexandria National Cemetery was established in 1867 on a site in Pineville after it was authorized by an Act of Congress on February 22, 1867 in the wake of the Civil War. It contains the remains of veterans who have served in every war, representing every branch of service since the 1860s. The United…

Read More

Old Town Hall

This building once housed all of Pineville’s city offices, including the fire station, city court, jail, library, mayor’s office, judge’s chamber, police department, and utilities office. When court was not in session, the courtroom housed the public library and driver’s license bureau. Restored to its 1935 appearance, it now operates as a municipal government museum.…

Read More

Huey P. Long Charity Hospital

Huey P. Long Hospital was the first of eight charity hospitals established in Louisiana as part of Huey P. Long’s vision in the 1930s to provide medical care to the state’s indigent population. Pineville was chosen as the site for the hospital due to its central location within the state; two charity hospitals already existed…

Read More

Methodist Cemetery

This cemetery is located in the proximity of what was originally the Poste du Rapides, the first colonial military outpost in the area (c. 1770). The Poste du Rapides grew to become present day AlexandriaPineville. Burial grounds were established on the cliffs above the river at the Grand Rapids to avoid flooding of the graves.…

Read More

Rapides Cemetery

This cemetery is located in the proximity of what was originally the Poste du Rapides, the first colonial military outpost in the area (c. 1770). The Poste du Rapides grew to become present day AlexandriaPineville. Burial grounds were established on the cliffs above the river at the Grand Rapids to avoid flooding of the graves.…

Read More

Mt. Olivet Cemetery and Church

Mt. Olivet Chapel is one of the oldest structures in the Alexandria-Pineville area, and is also one of a handful of examples of the Gothic Revival style in Central Louisiana. It features a rectangular form, steeply pitched roof with flared eaves, brackets beneath the eaves, lancet windows, and board and batten siding. Originally a church,…

Read More

Jewish Cemetery

The Hebrew Benevolent Society of Rapides Parish was established to purchase this plot of land for a cemetery. The earliest burial was that of Augusta Bernstein in 1852. This small group of Jewish families proceeded to form Congregation Gemiluth Chassodim in 1859 under the leadership of Isaac Levy, Henry Greenwood, and Julius Levin. It is…

Read More

Forts Randolph and Buhlow State Historic Site / Bailey’s Dam

Forts Randolph and Buhlow are two earthen forts that were constructed between 1864 and 1865 in anticipation of a Union invasion in the spring of 1865. The forts were completed under the command of Captain Christopher M. Randolph and Lt. Alphonse Buhlow, military engineers. After Union occupation of the area during the Red River Campaign…

Read More

Shiloh Baptist Church

Shiloh Baptist Church was established in 1882 when several members of Union Baptist Church began holding services in a small frame building on this site, thus making the congregation one of the oldest African American congregations in the city. The first cornerstone for the present structure was laid in 1890 with a membership of 225.…

Read More

St. James Catholic Church

St. James Catholic Church began as Sacred Heart School, a mission which was started by the Sisters of Divine Providence in San Antonio, Texas when they opened a one room school for African American children in 1884. A new school was constructed for this purpose in Alexandria when Father Menard purchased property between Fisk and…

Read More
X
X