Explore the great outdoors in Rapides Parish. Adventure awaits visitors around every bend, turn, and hill in the Alexandria/Pineville Area. From the blooming azaleas in the Spring to the fall foliage throughout the area forests in the Fall, even a simple drive can be an adventure for the eyes.
- Enjoy hiking, biking, horseback, ATV, and multi-use trails in the Kisatchie National Forest, as well camping areas, beaches, piers, and historic sites. You can also try to see the endangered Red Cockaded Woodpecker in the Forest, or ask about the three bat caves on the land. Visit http://www.fs.usda.gov/kisatchie for more information about this area.
- Hike the Wild Azalea Trail - Louisiana's longest hiking trail at 31 miles long.
- Enjoy a horseback ride through the forest. Hayes E Daze Riding Adventures will take you on a guided ride along trails in the National Forest.
- Camping, picnicking, swimming and fishing can be found at Indian Creek Recreational Area in the Alexander Forest.
- A walk along the boardwalks at Forts Randolph/Buhlow State Historic Site will introduce you to the indigenous trees and birds of the area. This is also a great area to take in the sites of the mighty Red River at the overlook at the site of Bailey’s Dam.
- Fishing opportunities are abundant. Of course, you can fish the recreation areas in the National Forest, or you can drop a line at Cotile Lake Recreation Area, Indian Creek, the Red River, and many other places. For more information about the Red River visit www.redriverwaterway.com.
- Experience camping, trail riding, mud riding and more at Louisiana Mudfest in Colfax. Visit http://www.louisianamudfest.com for a list of special events, live entertainment, and camping rates.
- Birding and nature watching is an easy pastime in Central Louisiana with so diverse a landscape and foliage.
But do not just take our word – come visit and see for yourself why the Heart of Louisiana is the Heart of Outdoors.